Explore construction careers and open more options after high school.
The construction industry needs skilled professional people and you can pursue these opportunities now.
While you are in high school, CORE PLUS Construction gives you the opportunity to explore construction careers such as carpenters, electricians, heavy equipment operators, plumbers, designers, engineers, project managers and much more. In the CORE PLUS Construction program, you learn a range of concepts from materials science to estimation and bidding.
The skills you learn in the program will give you more options when you graduate including: direct entry into the workforce, pursuit of an apprenticeship or trade school program, the military, college programs such as construction management, architecture, engineering, occupational health and safety, and sustainable building technologies.
Learn with hands-on, project-based training.
In CORE PLUS Construction, you will get to:
- Engage in an active classroom where learning occurs through doing.
- Earn high school credits towards graduation while working with a team building real world projects.
- Learn a range of concepts from hand and power tool safety, print reading and basic building skills to estimation, project management, and career readiness skills.
- Tour building sites and visit construction companies.
- Visit pre-apprenticeship and apprenticeship programs as well as college programs.
- Take advantage of job shadow and work-based learning opportunities to help you explore careers in the construction industry.
- Participate in statewide competitions and community service projects.
When you build a scaled project as part of a team, you get to develop foundational knowledge and skills such as safety, hand and power tool usage, construction print reading, and measurement. Strong networks and friendships are formed on these construction projects because everyone on the team depends on everyone else to get the job done.
Earn a CORE PLUS Construction certificate-of-completion and credits.
At the end of the completed program, you earn a CORE PLUS Construction certificate. This certificate defines the skills you have developed in the program and provides you with an additional resource as you pursue employment or additional training and education.
CORE PLUS Construction allows you to earn high school credits in the following areas:
- English language arts,
- Career and Technical Education (CTE)
Pursue a career that builds job satisfaction and creates a legacy.
Today’s construction industry is different; it is a career with no dead ends. Whether your passion is carpentry, safety on the job site, the environment, project management, marketing, accounting, or IT—there is a place for you in the construction industry. Forget the typical 9 to 5 cubicle job. Every construction site brings new and interesting challenges. At the end of every day, you will be able to see the progress you and your team have made. Watching that progress turn into a completed project, day by day, is one of the most rewarding parts of your career choice.
You also get to be part of constructing the buildings people depend on. How many professionals in other industries can point at the brand-new hospital in town and say, “I helped build that?” By working in construction, you get the chance to leave a legacy. Whether it is a road, a home, a clean water system, or a school, the projects you build make life better for the people in your community.
Interested in more programs about career paths and the CORE PLUS Construction program?
The construction industry offers a wide selection of career choices.
- Cement Mason
- Iron Worker
- Operating Engineer
- Sheet-Metal Worker
- Building Information Modeling (BIM) Coordinator
- BIM Manager
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chief Financial Officer
- Preconstruction Manager
- Project Engineer
- Project Manager
- Safety Director
- Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) Coordinator
- VDC Manager
- Administrative Assistant
- Management Information Systems (MIS) Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Office Manager
- Purchasing Agent